I solve problems with the tools available. An Army veteran with a solid track record in clinical research. After creating software solutions to solve problems in my role as a clinical research technologist, I’m looking to pivot my career into full-time software development and cloud infrastructure engineering.
December 2016 - Present
Laboratory Software Developer, Lurie Children’s Hospital - Chicago, IL
Supporting clinical testing and research in government and industry sponsored clinical trials in HIV/AIDS, Influenza, and COVID19 by developing, deploying, updating, and maintaining applications to increase efficiency and decrease errors.
- Developed and deployed a custom Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) for recording, tracking, and reporting internal patients, tests, and results saving thousands of hours and greatly reducing errors.
- Maintained and provided regular feature updates to applications based on user requests.
- Developed and maintained a database for a multi-site national clinical trial with >2000 study participants.
- Regularly created custom scripts to crawl through files of loosely structured data for one-off projects.
July 2015 – Present
Clinical Research Technologist, Lurie Children’s Hospital - Chicago, IL
Supporting clinical testing and research in government and industry sponsored clinical trials in HIV/AIDS, Influenza, and COVID-19 by developing and performing high complexity testing.
- Developed and validated a protocol for detection of HIV in newborns which was approved for clinical and Aids Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) usage for 1/50th the cost and ½ the time of commercially available tests.
- Led hospital effort to rapidly validate and efficiently scale high throughput COVID-19 testing decreasing turnaround time from 6+ days to <1 day.
- Performed in lead and support roles in industry sponsored IVD development trials by global pharmaceutical companies such as Alere/Abbott, and BD, helping get their products FDA approval and to market.
- Performed in lead and support roles in multiple COVID-19 therapeutic (REGN-COV2 (Regeneron) & remdesivir (Gilead)) and vaccine (JNJ-78436735 (Janssen) & AZD1222 (AstraZeneca)) studies.
- Advocated within the Lurie Children’s network for just distribution of COVID-19 testing capacity to underserved populations.
August 2010 – June 2015
Graduate Student Researcher, Loyola University Chicago - Chicago, IL
Conducted research on the role of central metabolism and electron transport in biofilm
formation and symbiotic association by Vibrio fischeri.
- Developed a protocol for targeted introduction of genes into the V. fischeri
- Streamlined conjugation protocols to allow isolation of desired strains from 5 to 2
- Mutagenized and screened 47,000+ mutant strains for desired phenotype.
- Utilized molecular, genetic, and bioinformatic methods to identify mutation
location of 200+ mutant strains.
- Regularly presented research findings at department meetings and scholarly
conferences to multidisciplinary audiences.
- Mentored junior graduate, undergraduate, and high school students during the
development and implementation of their research projects.
February 2003 – February 2008
Medical Sergeant, United States Army
- Supervised and evaluated the performance of a squad of junior medics.
- Coordinated acquisition and maintained medical supply for a 500+ cavalry
squadron throughout a 15-month combat deployment.
M.S. Microbiology and Immunology, Loyola University Chicago
Thesis: The Role of Central Metabolism in Biofilm Formation by Vibrio fischeri.
B.S. Biology, North Park University
||AWS Managed Services
|AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
|AWS Certified Solutions Architect-Associate
|Visual Basic for Applications